Thursday, March 19, 2009

A generator and / or solar

I need to get a generator or some way of creating electric power in my home. Once again, cost is a big issue. However, I'm willing to spend a little for a good product that will serve me for many years.

At first I was all about getting a big generator that would power my whole house if a storm knocked out power for a week or two. But then I saw the prices and read the reviews and my brain finally kicked in.

There are several reasons to stay away from a large 5000 watt plus generator. First, they are expensive. Second, the are expensive to operate. The bigger the engine, the more fuel they use. Third, dependability. It is very likely that this beast will sit unused for long periods of time. I don't want to spend a significant amount of money on something that doesn't work when I really need it. Going big on wattage will most likely mean cutting back on quality. I want an engine that will start reliably. Fourth, portability. If for some reason I decide to bug out, it would be nice to take this baby with me. Big generators weigh hundreds of pounds and are not easy to move.

So my criteria for a generator seem to something close to this: 1) It needs to be big enough to run my well pump. If it will do that, it will do everything else too. 2) It needs to be of fairly decent quality. I'm willing to pay a little more for that, but it has to stay within my anticipated budget. 3) It needs to be portable. I don't want to carry it around with me, but I would like to be able to get it into the back of the family van.

I'm still researching and looking for the right machine. However, another idea has entered my mind and that is the use of solar energy combined with a generator.

Solar has the potential of being useful everyday cutting my monthly electric bill, thus saving me money and helping me pay for the system. Solar would need to be combined with a generator. This has opened up an entire new avenue of study for me: watts, amps, volts, inverters, controllers, tie- ins, etc. Wow. It is a good thing I enjoy reading and learning, because there is a whole lot to learn.

I'll keep posting on this topic as I learn more and finally make my decision and drop the big bucks on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment